CE 152 Magnetic Levitation Model
- One dimensional strongly nonlinear unstable system designed for studying system dynamics and experimenting with number of different control algorithms based on classical and modern control theory.
- Compact benchtop configuration, designed for on-line digital control by IBM PC computer, or 100% compatible with data acquisition A/D and D/A convertor plug-in cards.
- Ball position linear sensor connected to A/D convertor.
- Interface libraries written in Borland C language and demonstration software package with PID controllers available.
- System accessible directly from Simulink environment in real time.
- Coil overheat protection with signalisation.
- Optional dSPACE controller.
The scale model demonstrates control problems associated with nonlinear unstable systems. The system consists of a coil levitating a steel ball in magnetic field. Position of the steel ball is sensed by an inductive linear position sensor connected to A/D convertor. The coil is driven by a power amplifier connected to D/A convertor. The basic control task is to control the position of the ball freely levitating in the magnetic field of the coil. The Magnetic Levitation system is a nonlinear dynamic system with one input and one output. The system is designed to be controlled by digital controllers, but as of its nature using analog controllers is also possible (analog controllers are not included).
Range of Experiments
An extensive range of experiments can be carried out with this apparatus:
- Real-time digital signal processing.
- Digital PID controller design for ball position stabilisation and trajectory tracking.
- LQ/LQG controller design based on state and I/O model.
- Fuzzy controller design.
- Nonlinear controller design.
- The apparatus includes:
- Magnetic Levitation System:
- Ball actuation:Copper coil driven by power voltage/current convertor
- Ball position sensor:Inductive linear position sensor
- Power amplifier:Built-in current/voltage power convertor with coil overheat protection
- Input: 0-5V
- Output: 0-1.5 A, 0.3 A/V
- Power Supply:
- DC Power Supply, +10V, 15V
- Multifunction I/O card:
- Multifunction I/O card with eight single ended 14 bit A/D convertor channels, eight 14 bit D/A convertors, 4 encoder inputs, 4 counters/timers, 8 digital TTL inputs and 8 digital TTL outputs.
- Two input channels used for ball position and coil current measurement. One analog output used for coil power amplifier driving.
- Instruction Manual
- A comprehensive technical manual is provided giving details of the apparatus, information about programming the data acquisition card and a full description of the apparatus control signals.
- Educational Manual
- Educational Manual provided with the model is an effective tool for using model in teaching process. Manual describes dynamics of the system, many working examples lead the student through experiments from identification to advanced control of the model.
- Interface drivers written in C with source code, demonstrational package using PID controllers and drivers for Simulink Desktop Real-Time provided.
- Model is designed for control by a standard IBM PC or 100% compatible computer, one free PCI slot required.
- Services required
- Single phase A.C. 220 or 110 V / 50 or 60 Hz, 50W supply.
- Space required
- For satisfactory use of the apparatus a bench area of 800 x 500mm is required.
Dimensions and Weights
- Main body:
- Dimensions:200 x 250 x 175 mm
- Weight:2 kg
- Power Supply:
- Dimensions:165 x 140 x 65 mm
- Weight:1.5 kg